It's perfectly normal to feel anxiety when you are going through stressful times. You definitely aren't the only one who is dealing with lots of different emotions during the COVID pandemic. If you feel like your anxiety is constant and overwhelming, it's time to take care of yourself.
Managing stress and the resulting anxiety means using good coping skills to get through the present moment. Here are 11 things that you can do to combat anxiety:
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. Go to bed and wake up at the same times each day. Avoid too much napping that could interfere with your sleep routine.
- Either stop or limit drinking caffeine when you are feeling jittery or stressed.
- Eat healthy foods and stay away from the sugar “crash" that comes from drinking sugar drinks and eating things like donuts and candy bars.
- Exercise every day. Get some fresh air while practicing social distancing.
- Meditate (use a meditation app or search for “mindfulness meditation" videos).
- Write down your fears and worries in a journal or notebook.
- Stay connected with others who are important to you. Talk with them about your feelings. Quarantine, but don't self-isolate.
- Be kind to others. Others may need your help or your support during this time.
- Turn off the news if it becomes overwhelming. Check out various news sources so you are getting balanced messages.
- Use our Mood App to keep track of when you feel anxious and see if you can find a pattern.
- Call Your Life Your Voice and speak with a trained counselor: 1-800-448-3000.