It's perfectly normal to feel anxiety when you are going through stressful times. But when you start to feel like your anxiety is unbearable and overwhelming, it may be time to take a break and take care of yourself.
Managing stress and the resulting anxiety means using good
coping skills to get through the present moment. Here are 11 things that you can do to combat anxiety:
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Stop drinking caffeine, especially if you are under stress.
- Eat healthy foods and stay away from the sugar “crash" that comes from drinking sugar drinks and eating things like donuts and candy bars.
- Exercise every day.
- Meditate before bed (use a meditation app or search for “mindfulness meditation" videos).
- Write down your fears and worries in a journal or notebook.
- Use the Mood App to keep track of when you feel anxious and see if you can find a pattern.
- Talk to someone you trust about how you feel.
- Meet with your school counselor or your therapist.
- Call Your Life Your Voice and speak with a trained counselor: 1-800-448-3000.
- See your doctor if the anxiety will not go away.