"Where am I emotionally?"
Being in touch with your emotional timeline can help you understand how your feelings impact you; and offers an insight on what to do to help yourself feel better.
- Do you dwell on things that happened in the past?
- Dwelling on the past can cause you to hold on to negative feelings like bitterness, anger, helplessness, and sadness.
- Instead focus yourself forward – make plans, set goals.
- Are you overly anxious, nervous or stressed about the future?
- Worrying about the future doesn't change or fix anything.
- Look at the situation realistically, break tasks into small steps, and make checklists.
- Are you too focused on the moment; do you lack focus or motivation?
- Looking forward gives you a sense of purpose and a reason to get up in the morning.
- Have a schedule, set goals, and make plans.
Think about the last time you experienced strong emotions. Were you focusing on something that happened in the past, or in the future?
On a typical day, are you sitting where you want to be on the emotional timeline? Are you where you should be?
Can you think of a time when a relationship was impacted (negatively or positively) by where you were on your timeline?
What needs to happen for you to move in a direction that is better for you? Has something helped you in the past?