Knowing what honesty means helps you to build a foundation for a great relationship. Honesty is more than just telling the truth. It is being truthful with the goal of developing a healthy relationship.
- Being honest doesn't mean spilling everything right away, it takes time. It's okay to say nothing and to just remain silent. Sometimes staying silent during pointless rants can prevent hurt feelings.
- Be truthful to the other person the same way you would want them to be with you. Be honest, but in a kind and respectful way.
- Stick to the facts, don't embellish or exaggerate your story. Those embellishments can be hard to explain or justify later on.
- Emphasize the positive. Find good things to say about others to build them up and encourage them in their day.
- Honesty is a two way street, it requires both people to make an effort.
- If someone is not being truthful with you, address it in a kind but straight forward way. Accepting dishonesty is in itself dishonest.
- Being honest = being authentic and real.