Have you ever wondered if you could make a difference? After all, you are not trained as a professional counselor. You do not understand the chemical make-up of the brain. You might not even be able to drive yet. Do you really have that much power that you can make a difference in someone's life? YES! Absolutely YES!
Making a difference does not require a Psychology degree from a top university. It requires a caring heart. When you show someone that you care about them, you make an impact in their life.
Think about the people in your life. Is there someone that is facing some big stress right now? Is there someone in your class that just doesn't seem to fit in? Is there a family member who is feeling kind of down in the dumps? You might not be able to change their situation but by showing them you care, you can change their outlook for the day or give them the encouragement they need to keep going.
Ways you can make a difference:
- Lend a Hand. Find things that you can do to help them through their day. Do they need help with their homework? Would it make their day less stressful if you ate lunch with them?
- Ask them, “How are you doing….really?"
- Listen when they need to talk.
- Sit with them when they don't feel like talking.
- Give them a hug (in person or virtual) let them know that you're thinking about them and you are glad they're in your life.
- Watch a movie or play a game with them so they don't feel so alone.
- Agree to support each other with a One Second Check-In.
- Send them funny memes to brighten their day.
- Help them find a trusted adult to talk to about their stress.