How you talk to yourself matters. Make a choice to use kind, positive self-praise. What you think in your mind will become what you believe. When you talk to yourself with self-love, your mindset changes towards yourself, your day, and the important people around you.
positive self-talk can be really challenging; maybe you had a bad day, perhaps someone said mean things to you, or you might already be stuck in a pattern of negative self-talk and you aren't sure how to get out of it.
Teach love to yourself by reviewing our
101 Positive Things To Say To Myself list. Write yourself a note to remind you of the positive things you are going to say to yourself; put it on your mirror or put it in your pocket. Another fun way to remind yourself, is to
make a Praise-let (a Praise Bracelet).
Talk to yourself like you would talk to someone you love.
How to make Praise-lets:
- Get in a comfy, private spot or get together with some friends.
- Gathering the supplies you have available: Thick rubber bands and Sharpies or alphabet beads and string.
- Choose words or Acronyms to remind you of your phrases, put these words on you Praise-lets.
- Example: #81 I am braver than I feel.
- Make a Praise-let with the word BRAVE on it.
- If you are having a difficult time picking your statements of self-praise, think about… what do you often put yourself down for? Think of the opposite of that and build a praise statement off it.
- Example; If you find yourself putting yourself down about your performance in school, perhaps your self-praise statement is,
Keep working hard, or
I CAN do it, or
I Am Enough.
- Wear the Praise-let to remind yourself of your goal of Positive Self-Talk.
Hint: If you don't want others to see what you wrote on your Praise-let, use a thick rubber band and write the statement to yourself on the inside of the rubber band that no one can see, or wear the Praise-let on your ankle where it isn't so noticeable.
Each time you find your inner voice turning to the negative side, use your self-praise bracelets as reminders to turn that conversation around and focus on positive self-talk.