It's the day you've been waiting for since the first day of school. Finally………summer vacation is here. No more getting up at 6am to catch the bus or get to practice. While summer might offer a break from the structure of the school year, it's important not to completely turn off your mind and body during summer.
It's great to take time to relax and get some rest. You need a break. However, what you choose to do after those first few weeks sets the tone for the rest of the summer.
A few tips to keep in mind during your summer break.
- Try to go to bed around the same time each night. Bedtime and curfews are probably different during the summer than the school year. Talk to your parents about what is going to be reasonable for you and your family.
- Eat healthy. Just because it's summer, it doesn't mean you should pig out a new flavor of Doritos each day. Eat full balanced meals, instead of just snacking all day. And drink lots of water, it's easy to get dehydrated in the heat.
- Keep your brain active. Read a book, watch a documentary about a topic that interests you, watch videos to learn something new, or pick up a new hobby.
- Help out around the house. If you have more free time on your hands, your parents will appreciate you pitching in to help. You might even consider cleaning out and reorganizing your bedroom before heading into the next school year.
- Get up and get out!! Summer is the perfect time to go outside and get active. Go swimming, take a bike ride, or take the dog for a walk. Remember how much you wished you could do that when there was 6 inches of snow on the ground? Now you can!
Stay safe and have fun!